We Live a Sweet Life Filled with Wild Adventures.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Colors That Are

I had fallen in love with a funky color palette that was just not going to jive with my charming venue so I had to change it up. I knew I wanted gray as a color...black was too formal and I couldn't convince myself that brown was the neutral for us. Plus our furry groomsman/ring bearer is the prettiest of gray colors:
{personal picture of Zeus}

I needed to find colors that blended with gray, went with the winter season and fit our venue. I started following Weddingbee religiously just as Mrs. Cowboy Boots was writing her final posts. I fell in love with the feeling her wedding portrayed:


Image via Weddingbee/Photo by Tec Pataja

I was convinced that what I was looking for was something soft that portrayed romance and fun. About the same time I stumbled across this amazing picture, which seems to be the most popular picture in favor of mismatched bridesmaid dresses:



I loved the nude/soft palette of the one directly above, it just oozed romance (it didn't hurt that the bride and her ladies are stunning), but I wanted a little more pop of color so I settled on this new palette:

Soft Peach & Gray:
Color swatches via 100 Layer Cake, edited by me

I began telling my bridal party they would wear a dress in the peachy/blush palette and got less than great reactions. Apparently blush/peach/nude is not the most flattering of color on most skin tones. It would probably be flattering on 2 of my 8 girls. And while I know my ladies would have sucked it up and wore whatever I had requested them to wear, I took their feedback to heart and switched it up one.last.time to finally come to this. Read my lips: my FINAL color palette.

Soft Peach, Navy & Gray:
Color swatches via 100 Layer Cake, edited by me

I think the navy brings a bit of winter feeling and some boldness to the soft hues of peach and gray. When I created the palette in my head before deciding on it, I Googled "navy, peach, gray weddings" just to make sure I wasn't envisioning some hideous palette that would never work. Fortunately I came across oodles amount of inspiration boards and images that concreted my decision.


Inspiration board via Elizabeth Anne Designs
I am in L.O.V.E with the top left picture; gray winter tights, floofy peach dress & navy trench coat. Yes, please.

Inspiration board via Snippet & Ink

Gray Striped Straws? I die. And that Navy bridesmaids dress (minus the chicken)? Perfect.

Speaking of bridesmaid dresses, navy dresses are common, whether we went with traditional BM dresses or the 'leave it up to you' dresses, I was confident finding something in Navy was within my reach and my girls reach...but dresses are a post for next time.
Hive...did you have to turn to any wedding blog experts to make you feel better about your wedding color palette?

No comments:

Post a Comment