We Live a Sweet Life Filled with Wild Adventures.



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How The Honey's Met

Our story can be told one of two ways. The sweet and condensed version is that we met through mutual friends and the rest is history. Short and simple. But who likes short and simple?!

The extended (and much more interesting) version  includes Eeyore in a Hookah lounge, Facebook stalking and a grand scheme. Intrigued?

It was late October 2009 and I headed downtown to have a couple drinks with a group of friends after a comedy show. In this group of friends was Mr. Honey's best friend (now best man Honey!) who was dating one of my great friends, and we all ended up at a Hookah lounge together. Our group grabbed a table outside and sat back to chat and enjoy a couple drinks. Being that it was late October, apparently people were practicing for Halloween the next weekend...because in walked a guy in an Eeyore costume, with a cute little, pink bowed tail:
{Eeyore image from this source}

The Eeyore clad homeboy stood right in front of our table, with that tail swingin' just within distance of me. And just like Eeyore wants to be noticed, I was trying to get Mr. Honey to notice me, and in a moment of full (im)maturity I yanked on Eeyore's tail. Maybe it was the Hookah smoke-filled air, maybe it was Jim Beam, but the romantic in me wants to believe it was an innocent way to get Honey's attention. So while I succeeded in getting him to notice me (he tells this part of the story when talking about how we met), in retrospect, it probably wasn't the most effective way to get him to do so because in a blink of an eye I noticed that the dashing Alabama boy had disappeared. I was convinced he disappeared into thin air, but his friend assured me he just went home for the night. So I did what any other girl would do, I danced my booty off with my girls.

I remember waking up the next morning with a vivid picture of Mr. Honey in my mind and thinking that I needed to see him again. It didn't take long because our town is small, and I remember seeing Mr. Honey on Halloween the next weekend...dressed up as a woman. And hot damn he even looked good in a pink robe and slippers, ha! I became set on getting a second chance at meeting him and begged our mutual friends to set it up. Being the oh-so-hip 21st century lady, I Facebook stalked him in the mean time. It's okay I have no shame, and Mr. Honey is fully aware of my tactics now. I already knew he was a kayker, but his profile picture was a good introduction to his adrenaline-loving behavior:

{Personal picture, Mr. Honey in the front displaying his love of free falls}

Fast forward a couple months to January 2010 and there was fundraiser coming up for a kayaker who had been injured, and I just knew that Mr. Honey would be there (thanks Facebook!). I forced begged mutual Honey friend to help me devise a 'casual encounter' at the fundraiser. We had it all planned out from the time she would arrive with Mr. Honey to the inevitable introduction. And it worked, perfectly.

So while fate may have had something to do with it, I certainly helped push it along because I was unwilling to wait. And it all worked because we haven't looked back since.

{Personal picture, The first official Honey picture, Valentines Day 2010}

{Personal picture, Recent picture of the Honey's at the river}

So, tell me Hive, has anyone else helped push fate along in order to get the one you wanted? Or did a cartoon character help get you noticed? I want to hear!



No comments:

Post a Comment